By Avinash Miriyam – Students’ Union Presidential Candidate
I am Avinash Miriyam. I am currently studying for a Master’s in Film and Television Production. You have probably seen me around the campus talking with students inquiring about issues and sharing their happiness. I was like you when I joined, I felt the emotions of being new and homesick, I went through residential problems, was stressed at the time of assignments and much more like how you felt in the University all these days. With all these experiences I have had as a student it has led me to help students in whatever way I can do, in the best possible manner to change the university into the best place to live. Even though English is my second language, I can still empathise with the struggles and the joys of students. So, friends let’s come together to make our university a better place to develop ourselves whilst helping each other.
- I want to focus on increasing the accessibility of facilities across all campuses such as the library, editing and computer suites and studios during the assignment period.
- It will be my top priority to maintain sustainability across all campuses by doing whatever we can to reduce plastic usage and remain environmentally friendly.
- I will continue to do my best to push forward with the current campaigns in place to assist mental and sexual health, as well as ensure that students are involved with the process through the introduction of regular engaging activities and talks.
- The decentralisation of power is something that means a lot to me. I feel it would be my duty as a student representative to ensure that people aren’t left feeling unequal and out of the loop in terms of communication. I would aim to do this by encouraging all representatives to meet up and regularly discuss their ideas and intentions for the future and current benefit of students.
- I would like to forward the idea of making maintenance costs more manageable for students when they first arrive. It is a stressful time as it is without having the worries of ID card charges and printing credit on top of it. I would like to propose that students are credited with an initial small allowance of printing credit to get them started in their semester and, if possible, look into the other costs around.
- I would like to do everything I can to make the university feel like a home away from home for international students. I would do this by making sure there are activities available for everyone where they can meet with others from their countries and talk about how they feel.
- I would like to make sure that students are well represented and aware of all the extracurricular activities around which are related to their course in order to help them with their career prospects. Obtaining feedback about the student experience through the course reps and other representatives through regular meetings would help me to achieve this.
- I would like to maintain or improve the standards of accountability and communication between students and the student’s services (residential, personal hygiene facilities and maintenance, security, etc).
- I feel talking with members of the prior alumni could be beneficial both to the current board as well as students as it would be insightful and a great chance to exchange ideas, for example, career prospects and experiences.
- I will listen to everyone’s ideas and always have their best interest at heart. I want to feel like a friend to them, someone they can talk to comfortably and with confidence. Implementing procedures and taking action with the utmost care is important, and so are the beliefs and values of the students, so I will always consider these when it comes to making any decisions.
To achieve all these, I need your support to act as the voice of students in the university to the best of my ability. So, vote for me (Avinash Miriyam) as your Student Union President and support me as your representative across all platforms in the university, together as a team.
Visit the SU website to cast your vote. Polls close on March 20th at 2 PM.
Images: Avinash Miriyam
Disclaimer: This article has not been edited by The Ruskin Journal. The Journal will publish similar submissions from other election candidates that want to get involved. Contact the editor for more information.